02 January, 2010

Because I Like It

(So, this picture is relevant because a) it has too paths in it, a big one and a little one; and b) because I like it and wanted to share it with you)

After yesterdays post in which I looked back on how my style has changed over the last year, I started wondering: where does personal style end, and wanting to stick out a bit begin.

I first started thinking about that this summer, when I was in Sweden and my "look" was sort of main stream. Then this fall I noticed that more and more of my classmates were dressing more like me. Ever since, I've been pondering the question: is it still my style if it's main stream?

I'm a firm believer in wearing what you want to wear. Logically, I should say that I'm going to wear what I like, when it's in fashion and when it isn't. The less rational part of me is saying: come on, we should change, we don't want to be like everyone else! But in a way, that's still letting the masses control how you dress.

All that was really just a long and convoluted way of saying: if you truly dress however you want, you should wear clothes because you like them, and not because others are or are not wearing them. (Although public nudity is against the law, so please don't go on strike from wearing clothes entirely. I don't want to be the cause of any arrests!)

Thoughts? Requests?

Love, Rosie

PS: If you a)have any interest in photography, b)are bored, c)need a dose of randomness, d)want to make me happy, please check out a new blog that I am a part of, Exposure Extraordinaire. And if you like it, please follow! We could use some followers who aren't Findlay's friends.

8 comments:

  1. i do dress a bit differently from the "norm" where i live, and i definitely think that's part of the draw. my outfits are a way for me to express myself, and how can i really express myself if i dress the same as everyone else? at the same time, though, i don't dress oddly just to be different. i'd like to think i'd wear what *i* want to wear, not matter what everyone else is sporting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wearing something you're confident in and bringing out your best features is what's important. Sometimes ppl try too hard to be different or too hard to be "in the trend" that they forget to take a look and see if it suits them or not.

    Personally I like clothing that are classic. Cuz I've tried my "in the trend" looks but most of which after a year or 2, when I look at the picture of me in such outfit. It just frightens me. lol ... So for me, sticking with classy outfits will never go wrong ~ :P ..

    Happy New Year dear!
    xxx
    Gi
    http://glam623.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely photo!

    I like some trends. I don't like others. I pick and choose. Fundamentally, I care much more about how I feel in clothes than being particularly fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. I hate people who stop wearing something just because it became popular. If you liked it in the first place, why should it matter? Lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that must be a good sign that your classmates
    are dressing up like you. that means they appreciate
    your style and you're a good inspiration.

    happy new year sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a really nice picture (=

    hope you're having a nice day

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree...wear what makes you feel good!

    ReplyDelete